Both seasoned weed aficionados and those new to the local marijuana scene often wonder what are the popular strains of weed at local Long Beach dispensaries.
Strains are essentially different breeds or varieties of cannabis. Just as there are many different breeds of dogs; golden retrievers, mini poodles, beagles, mixed breeds; there are also many different strains of weed, such as sour diesel, purple kush, charlotte’s web, and mixed hybrids. Marijuana strains are typically ranked according to THC content, flavor and effect.
Strains are generally divided into the following categories: Indica, Sativa, or a Hybrid mix of both. Amos Elberg of Confident Cannabis, a wholesale testing company, says that with the many samples they’ve tested through partner labs, which look at the chemical composition of the flowers, they see “no identifiable characteristics that are consistent with Indica, Sativa, or Hybrid.” These categories group different flowers and strains by a set of certain characteristics. That includes where the high is generally located (head or body), whether the strain makes you sleepy or energized, and so on. They are not hard-set scientific rules and don’t encompass the full effect of certain strains, yet this does not mean that they should be disregarded or considered to be false. In short, while these categories of sativa, indica, and hybrids are not technical categories, they are still extremely useful in a consumer setting by giving general guidelines and categories for the uses, attributes, and effects of different marijuana strains.
Here are five popular weed strains available at Long Beach dispensaries like Modern Buds:
- Blue Dream: This strain was born (and arguably raised) here in California. Although it is often listed as a Sativa in most dispensaries because of its lively head-high, it is a half and half hybrid split, which can be seen through the full-body relaxation it brings. It’s good for pain, stress, and thought-provoking conversations.
- Sour Diesel: Often listed as a Sativa and named after its strong odor, Sour Diesel is well-known for a head-high that instantly makes you feel happy and on top of the world. It is popular amongst medical marijuana patients for its ability to wake you up and have you feeling ready to take on the day.
- OG Kush: The acronym “OG” can stand for several things. The default— “original” is what comes to mind usually, but many have also agreed upon “original gangster” or “ocean grown,” both names being a nod to its origin and popularization here in California. It is another popular hybrid that will definitely leave you “stoned.” This mix will have you staring at the wall for a couple of hours, forgetting that the world around you exists.
- Girl Scout Cookies: This hybrid is comprised of 50/50 OG Kush and Durban Poison (a popular Sativa strain). Users commonly refer to its ability to relax and feel good inside and out. Effects of this strain include joy, lifted spirits, and a dash of creative energy.
- Jack Herer: A Sativa-dominant Hybrid strain named after the “Emperor of Hemp,” cannabis activist and author. It is a strain that rarely gives you that notorious “paranoia” that comes with many strains but instead plunges you deep into a creative and energized headspace. Medical users often find that this strain is very helpful when combating stress and depression.
Cannabis is such a versatile medicine with new strains being created every day. It can be used to treat a large variety of medical and physical needs as well as personal wants. Weed is a multipurpose, flexible resource that can be put to use in so many different ways. Whether reaching for it to inspire an artistic creation, as a way to relieve mind and bodily stress, or as a way to relax and have a good time with friends or by yourself here in Long Beach, there’s a marijuana strain to enhance that desired experience or purpose.